Sunday, October 28, 2012

Batman Cape!

Okay, so we are all about Halloween at our house. If you don't believe me, just check out my costume:
Anyway, because I was so excited for Halloween, I offered to make my nephew a Batman cape for Christmas because obviously, Batman is the coolest superhero ever and my 4-year-old nephew is always pretending to be Batman. So here is what I came up with:


Supplies:

Size H hook.

Black and yellow yarn

Piece of black felt ($.23 at Walmart)

 

Collar

Ch 55.

Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook. Sc in remaining chains. (54 sc)

Row 2: Ch 3, turn. (counts as first dc) Dc in each sc across.

Row 3: Ch 1, turn. Sc in each dc across.

Row 4: Ch 3, turn. Dc in next 30 sc.

Row 5: Ch 3, turn.*2 dc in next dc, dc in next dc. Repeat from * across. (46 dc)

Row 6: Ch 3, turn. *2 dc in next dc, dc in next 2 dc. Repeat from * across.

Row 7: Ch 3, turn. *2 dc in next dc, dc in next 3 dc. Repeat from * across.

Row 8: Ch 3, turn. Dc in each dc across.

Rows 9-35: Repeat row 8.

Finish off.
 
 

 

Yellow oval (pattern modified from bustingstitches.blogspot.com)

Ch 3. 9 dc in 3rd ch from hook. Sl st in top of ch-3.

Ch 3. 2 dc in next 3 dc. 3 dc in next dc. 2 dc in next 4 dc. 3 dc in next dc. Dc in last dc. Sl st in top of ch-3.

Ch 3. 2 dc in next 7 dc. 3 dc in next dc. 2 dc in next 10 dc. 3 dc in next dc. 2 dc in next 2 dc. Dc in last dc. Sl st in top of ch-3.

Ch 3. 1 dc in next 15 dc. 3 dc in next dc. 1 dc in next 22 dc. 3 dc in next dc. 1 dc in remaining dc. Sl st to ch-3. Fasten off.
 
 

 

Cut out and attach felt bat symbol onto the yellow oval. I sewed mine on with black thread. 
 
Attach yellow oval to back of cape. Attach a button on the top of collar, and voila! An awesome Batman cape, ready for action!
 


 

18 comments:

Nanaliz5 said...

Thanks so much. My grandson has been asking for this!

Anonymous said...

Making this today for my 3 year old neighbor for his birthday, in turquoise! Did I mention he has a sister;)

Rikki said...

what is the final length of this project mine feels a little short

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to feature this on www.FREE-CrochetPatterns.net! Email Kim@Free-crochetpatterns.net for more information!

Lexi said...

Could you tell me approximately how much yarn you used, please?

Lexi said...

Could you tell me approximately how much yarn you used, please?

amyscrochetpatterns said...

Hi, Great Site! I started a Crochet Directory on my Crochet Jewel site! I added an Add Your Pattern button that allows you to upload your Crochet Photo along with Your Direct Link to Your Pattern on My site! This will increase traffic to your site! Hope to see you there! http://crochetjewel.com/?page_id=4435

Anonymous said...

tks for the pattern. made a batman beanie that was really cute, & have been trying to find the cape. think I am going to make the back bottom mimic the bat on your yellow oval. appreciate your pattern. my 5 yr cousin will have a ball!

Jade said...



Hi,


I’ve noticed you have published some links to your patterns on other websites. We are are always looking for people to submit their links to
their patterns.

If you want us to link to your patterns please reply to this mail with the links to your patterns you wish to share.

To see how we link your patterns to our site please look here http://www.sahmod.com/node/2

In case you have any questions or require additional information please contact us at:

support@sahmod.com

Regards,

SAHMOD
http://www.sahmod.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for this great pattern. My nephew can hardly wait until I will finished with his cape. Your so generous.

Cathy Oliver said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful cape pattern. I've been fussing with making one up myself for a few days now and I can't tell you what a relief it was to find this!! I am making it in blue with a 'D' for Dexter (my grandson) on the back rather than the traditional black for Batman. I know he is going to LOVE it!! Thank you again!

Cathy Oliver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy Oliver said...

Hi Laura, I'm wondering if there is a way I can send you a photo of the cape I made for my grandson using your pattern (and a few of my own tweaks). I'd love for you to see it. I'm so proud and would love to share it with you!

Anonymous said...

Is this big enough for a 7 or 8 year old? I started it and didn't want to go on after row 4 because it don't seem like it will be big enough

Anonymous said...

Has anyone gotten an answer on here?

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I wanted to make my nephew a Batman Cape but I was worried about him chocking on strings to tie it together (he is 1), and your idea with the button is brilliant and safe!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou, Ive just made this for my 3 yr old grandson with remnants I had.Cheers..Maria :-)

LOVE'S SANITY said...

I know this post is old but did you make this cape in other sizes?